Wednesday, August 13, 2008

What's love got to do with it?

My wife reminds me occasionally of how cheerful and fun-loving I was when we were dating over 25 years ago. Not to be contrary, but I like to think that I haven't become less happy. I rationalize my glum countenance by thinking that I'm more mature now. It is true, however, that I have become, over the years, less fun-loving and carefree. Paulie has a point, I'm sure.

I have mixed feelings about this.

God called me, and the ministry He called me to lead, to stand for a simple proposition. Here it is: Sex outside of marriage is wrong. We go a bit further with that and allow that civil laws should discourage sex outside of marriage. Civil laws should celebrate and protect the traditional, biologically-related family.

This idea is falling into disfavor now, as we all know. It is being replaced by the idea that all sex is good sex as long as it is consensual. The traditional, biologically-related family unit is breaking down. Government social services, and an overly "nurturing" version of christianity is replacing it here in Maine.

So maybe I have cause to be glum. Pray that God will give me more joy in the midst of these challenges. Paulie will appreciate that.

No comments:

Post a Comment